Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week 7 Here comes the cold!

Well this week went well! Elder Goldie is totally good now so we got a full week of missionary work in. It was actually the most lessons we've taught in a week since I've been out so that was awesome! We didn't get any new investigators (a new investigator is classified as someone you meet, set up an appointment, teach them a lesson at that appointment and set up another time to meet) but we got like 5 potentials (people we stop and set up appointments with) we're going by this week! We've actually had quite a few potentials since I've been here, but none of them ever keep appointments so that's a bummer. But hopefully this week one of them will at least! I didn't realize this but there hasn't actually been a new investigator here in this area since S., and they found him like 3 months ago. So this could be a big week! Speaking of S. he is having a hard time.  He is so sad about not being able to come to church that he has stopped praying, reading the BOM, and doing anything involving church. He is totally focused on his coaching job and basically nothing else. The worst part is he knows its all true and wants to get baptized! He just hasn't figured out a way to do work and go to church on Sundays. The less-active young man we are teaching came to church with us yesterday! He didn't really like it though so that wasn't good. He said a lot of the people there show up, talk about living a good life and doing what is right, and then the minute church was over they just went back to being typical Irish people. It just goes to show that people are always watching us as members of the church whether we know it or not. We should all be setting examples for those people so that they will have a desire to follow Christ, like we are. The cold weather is definitely coming!!! I can't leave the flat now without a jacket on and it rained quite a bit this week. Apparently in the middle of winter it gets dark at like 4 in the afternoon! So that'll be fun stopping people on the street when it's pitch black and me and my companion are wearing these huge all black trench coats. I'm actually kinda excited to see peoples reactions to that!
I had a really cool experience while on exchanges this week! I went to Sligo again but this time with Elder Barney, who has only been out 6 weeks (1 moves) longer than me. It was awesome going with him because we were both young and just excited to go work! So here's some background you need to know before the story: There was a general authority (don't remember his name) who had a revelation during general conference that all European missionaries should do the following every night when they plan for the next day: Write down in their planners who they will find the next day, what they will either teach or have to do to find them, when they will find them, and where they will find them. So every night, every European missionary does that now. When I was on exchanges, the who what when where Elder Barney had written down was: We'll find a man who we will have to go out of our way to talk to, while we are walking from our last teaching appointment to the flat, between 9 and 9:30 pm. So right after the last appointment we had we started walking back to the flat and we saw a guy walking towards us. Elder Barney said that's are guy for who, what, where, when and basically right after he said it, the guy crossed the street and started walking the opposite direction! So me and Elder Barney start following him and basically chase him down, and right before he crosses the street again Elder Barney just yells out to him and he comes over all happy to talk to us! We found out he had only been in Sligo for a few hours and we set up a time to visit with him the next day and talk more about the BOM! It was really cool to see how when you tell the Lord where you will be and when you will be there, He will put the people in your path that you need to find. I'll have to find out at district meeting if anything happened with the guy.

Something I've been wanted to tell you guys to do since the MTC but just keep forgetting, is to check out MTC devotionals done by some of the apostles on youtube!! Mainly check out any MTC devotionals done by Elder Bednar and Elder Holland. They are awesome, especially when giving devotionals cause they are a little more personal. A real good youtube video of an MTC devotional is called "Missionary Work and the Atonement" I don't know if that's the title for sure but it'll be pretty close. It's by Elder Eyring and Elder Holland so search both their names and the title and you'll find it. The video kind of combines both their talks together into different segments and it's such a cool message! It's cool to hear Elder Holland talk to missionaries cause he basically turns into a football coach pumping us up to go out and do work!! There was a really good one we watched in the MTC by him but I have no clue what it's called. It looked like it might've been 5 or 6 years ago, but it was about the importance of using Preach My Gospel and actually being converted yourself before you go out and try converting someone else. So try looking those up if you have time!

I do like getting stories from Colin and Carly! It's fun to read up on how they're doing, especially cause I only really have time to email back family. I try emailing back at least one or two other people but I usually only get to one other person. The pedometer idea will be cool! Don't forget to keep me updated on the whole sports stuff too, I really enjoying hearing about sports from back home, especially the kids games, instead of Gaelic and Hurling. Continue letting me know how the baseball world is too! I'm getting really good at soccer though, maybe I'll turn into a soccer player when I get back home! I saw Elder Austin at Zone meeting again this week and I don't think he realizes how lucky he has it! Him and all the missionaries in Dublin, which is pretty much our whole zone besides our district of 6 missionaries and a few other companionships, get together for every P-day! Me and Elder Goldie just get stuck playing soccer together and with our less-active sometimes. We're too far away from anyone else and since we don't have a car we can't go out and visit anywhere either. So I haven't taken a lot of new pictures... Sorry mom. Oh well it's still a blast playing soccer!

I'm so happy to be out here on my mission and I can't believe how much I'm growing spiritually! It's only been like a month and a half too! 2 years won't be long enough! (I say that now but I guess we'll have to see if that changes over 2 years haha)
Love and miss you all!