Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Week 21 - Scotland is COLD but I love it!

Hello everybody, I am in Irvine, Scotland!!! It's really cold here, but it's all good cause we are teaching a ton of people right now! We have 3 people who want to be baptized in January. Two are a young couple (Aaron and Jackie) that just need to get married and then they can be baptized. The other is a guy named Alec who's pretty chill. We also have some other people who we found recently that are totally interested and have a great desire to learn! It's so crazy how much faster the work goes here in Scotland compared to Ireland. It's literally like I went into a different mission or something! We were barely teaching 12 lessons a week in Mullingar, and then I come here and teach 13 lessons in 3 days! It's insane how so many more people are totally prepared for the gospel here compared to Ireland. My companion is pretty cool! He's from Austin, Texas and says Y'all a lot haha. He's a good missionary and we're gonna get some work done this moves! It's a little crazy this week though because he isn't gonna be here! He is singing in this missionary choir that is going to travel around Scotland and do a bunch of concerts. So Elder Goldie and I are companions again for the week! His companion left too, and our area's are right next to each other so we are just gonna work in both area's for the whole week. It's pretty cool to be able to serve with Elder Goldie again and this week is gonna be so much fun. So the people here are pretty different compared to the Irish! It's funny cause so far tracting seems to be the most effective way of finding people here, which was not the case in Ireland. People here when you knock on their door they actually answer! It's so weird! haha and then they actually give us a chance to talk! It's so good though, but it is crazy how much easier it is here to teach someone a lesson on the doorstep. My new flat is absolutely amazing! I love it. We have some weights I can use to work out with and a lot of room to do stuff that will keep me in shape. The members of the ward are awesome too. They feed us all the time! This week I think we're gonna have to cancel some meal appointments cause we have so many! haha the food so far has been amazing, and I've even tried haggus and black pudding! (Look up what they are). I'm not a big fan of either but they're typical Scottish meals so I had to try it! haha.
So when I came to the area from Ireland I got to stop in Glasgow for a little and it seems like a pretty cool city! I don't think I'll be able to get there too often though. It isn't in our zone, plus we aren't allowed to leave our area for P-days and all the zone meetings and zone conferences are in Irvine cause we're the most central part of the paisley zone. But who knows! One day I could serve there!

Well I think that's it from me this week. Thanks for the love and support! I can't wait to talk on Christmas! Love you all!
Elder Benesch

Fun facts we found out about Irvine
It's an industrial, coastal city.  His apartment is just around the corner from the church building (well the building they have church in, which is called the Galt House).  The sunrises at 8:50am and the sunsets at 3:45pm!  He won't be working on his tan!  The average temperature for this time of year is a high of 45 and low of 33.