Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

week 34 - Dalkeith is nice!

Hello everyone, sorry again for the short email last week. I'll try to answer everyone's questions this week!
First of all though, let me tell you about the new area! So it's a fairly small town outside of Edinburgh, but it is really nice!! We live in a really posh estate, and we have some really nice neighbors! (none of which want the gospel though:( hahah) Our flat is brand new, and my new address is:
150 Newbattle Abbey Crescent
Dalkeith, EH22 3LR
Scotland

My companion's name is Elder Lattin, and he's from Orange County, California. He was in the same stake as Elder Goldie!! Haha. He's been out 6 months so 1 transfer behind me. We've been getting on really well and working hard together!
So being a District Leader and whitewashing an area has been pretty intense so far! I've been super busy, and sometimes a bit stressed, but I've enjoyed it so far as well. The ward has made us feel really welcome, we've had dinner appointments almost every night since we've gotten here! The zone leaders had me give a training in zone meeting this past week, so that was fun. As far as the work goes, we've actually seen some success! Right now we have 2 investigators, one who we found and another guy named Tom Kay who has been taught by missionaries for 40 years. The guy we found we tracted into the very first day we were here! His name is Michael, he's a real nice guy and is mostly interested in what we believe because he is a religious professor at a secondary school (high school) in Dalkeith. However he is much more interested than he thinks, cause he is reading and praying about the book of Mormon and is asking a ton of questions that apply to him. We're seeing him a few times this week and he'll be at church this coming Sunday hopefully. As far as working with the AP's, it's been pretty cool! Their names are Elder Tinsley and Elder Boehme and we have been working a lot more with them than I thought we would. Elder Boehme is from Mesa! He's only been out 9 months and he's the AP, so dad I think you'll understand how much of a beast he is at missionary work. He went to mountain view and played baseball there, funny I never knew him!! He went to ASU (not for baseball) for a year before he came out. Elder Tinsley goes home in a few months and is a really good missionary as well. It's a cool opportunity to serve around them cause I'll get to learn a lot!!
So now to try and answer everyone's questions
I don't actually know when my release date is.. I think it's July 22nd, but I'm not too sure. 
So there are just us and the AP's in the area we live. There are quite a few missionaries that stay in Edinburgh, which is only a 45 min bus ride for us, but I don't think we're allowed to go and see them on P-day. The missionaries in our district are either an hour drive away or a 2 hour drive away! They both have cars so that helps with exchanges though. We do not get a car so I'm still walking all over the place!!
The food is BOSS Ethan haha. I definitely enjoy all the mashed potatoes we get fed! haha, and who could leave out the amazing Haggis!! Which I'm not joking when I say it's pretty good!
Dad the vote for Scotland to be independent is a HUGE deal over here! Sorry I could've told you about it a while ago. The people are pretty divided about it but it looks like Scotland will most likely vote yes to being independent in August, especially because they are allowing 16 year olds to vote!!!
So I never found out if Seyi got baptised. Me and Elder Goldie have both lost contact with him. He isn't the best with technology and we've written him a few letters but he probably didn't get them since he moved to England. Plus one of the missionaries in Mullingar went home early and so they sent 2 new ones in, and I haven't been able to talk to them about whether or not Seyi is there.
Also for Ethan, yes I did ride a train to get to my new Area. We ride on trains everywhere. Glasgow Central Station totally reminds of Harry Potter, and it's so cool to go there! Haha by the way did you know that the harry potter movies and books are different here than they are in the states!?! For example the first book/movie is called "Harry Potter and the Philosophers' Stone." Crazy huh?
Hopefully I answered all you questions! I did my best with it!! I love you all so much and quite enjoy hearing all the fun news from back home! Keep it real!


Elder Benesch